Ok, i can only speak for get-e.org xsm:

The biggest problem was that people can only have access rights to a
whole page, not only of a part if it. Check
http://www0.get-e.org/Themes/E17/, if we give theme contributors access
to that page, they can easily change the edje of other themes. As far as
i know, this is a problem which can't be fixed for now. The theme
contributors always had to wait until a maintainer uploaded their new
version of a theme.
I think this is a real limitation of xsm.

I also don't want to decline people to talk in this thread, i just
wanted to make sure, that this thread wouldn't be mainly a flamewar
between
people who never used xsm or ruby in rails nor maintained some website
(e.org, get-e.org, edevelop.org). ;)

Greets
Brian