On Sep 11, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Michael Jennings wrote:

On Monday, 11 September 2006, at 23:29:11 (+0300),
Hisham Mardam Bey wrote:

Prior to diving into the "what to use" discussion

See, I don't think that's the conversation we should be having right
now.

We're using XSM right now.  Unless there is some fundamental flaw in
XSM that cannot be overcome, we need to stick with it.

So if there are problems with XSM, let's identify them.

1.  Speed

This will be resolved when we go local, as best I can tell from
playing with the demo.

2.  Unintuitive?

Blake says XSM's editing interface is unintuitive.  I can see some
room for improvement, but straight HTML in a textarea seems pretty
intuitive to me, albeit not as user-friendly as it could be.

There is a definite advantage to having one of the developers of the
CMS we're using on our team.  The problem is, everyone speaks in
abstracts:  "It's painful!"  "I don't like it!"  More specific
(constructive!) criticisms will ultimately result in a more usable XSM
as well as a better site for E.

So...anyone want to start with #3?

3.  Foreign codebase.

This is an old problem, where 1 person writes a huge chunk of code and then it's hard for a team to collaborate on it. If we want to be able to add features to merge the websites (get-e.org and edevelop.org), a move to a standard framework like Rails would make this easier for more people to contribute, add features, make changes, etc. Personally I can't invest time delving into the code for XSM, I've invested time in Rails because of it's community and standardized way of doing things.

Andy told me he didn't have time to do most of these things. However, if the only thing we need is more updates, and a reorganization of information. By all means, stick with XSM! Maybe even merge get-e.org. But edevelop.org provides a lot more than what XSM is capable of. (And edevelop.org is fairly crappy in my opinion, Drupal has issues too. Another reason I'd like to work on a redesign.) Raster himself said he wanted to be able to add additional features to integrate the desktop and the website...

-Blake