On Sep 11, 2006, at 12:14 PM, Michael Jennings wrote:

On Monday, 11 September 2006, at 11:41:51 (-0700),
Blake Barnett wrote:

And it requires giving everyone who wants to add a simple little
news item access to everything in CVS (should normally be a
problem... but.)

So?  Like write access is any big deal.  Raster wants it given out
like candy.

Meh.

Ben is quite fond of Ruby and Rails.  Here's a quote from his blog:
"But the appeal of Ruby is just unresistable and I admit I'm headed
in that direction more and more all the time."

Apparently you're confused.  I was providing advantages of CVS, not
disadvantages of Ruby or whatever else it is you're trying to rebut.

Heh... you are so fun to argue with. You said Ben wouldn't use anything but CVS/HTML. I rebutted that by quoting him saying something in contradiction with your statement. Add to that the fact that you called Ruby an immature language, and said that Rake sucks for some unrelated reason.

Rephorm made his site in Rails, so did Atmos. Tilman is quite
comfortable with it.  Add to that, Eugen, me, and I'm sure quite a
few others...

SC.

Not confused at all.  You're just trying to side-step my response.

Rails is not a CMS.

SC.

See above.

- Gobs and gobs of tools exist to work with CVS in any number of ways

For building a website?!?!

Ah, finally something relevant to my comments.  Tools for CVS allow
for editing of content in CVS and committing said content to CVS.  So
yes, in that sense, for building a website.

Running a website this way adds a huge hurdle that most casual contributors will simply pass by. It's not worth the effort.

This is silly.   Content revision control is quite easy to do.

You'd think that...but you'd be wrong.  Even with tools like Trac,
which supposedly "integrate" with SVN, content versioning is always
linear.  No branching.  No tagging.  No annotation.

Website content doesn't need tagging, branching or even necessarily revision control. You can easily add revisioned pages to websites with wikis, or whatever other method you want. The CODE for the website is another thing altogether, and I agree that CVS is a fine method of SCM for that.

It's silly to get CVS access to do web updates.  Welcome to 2006.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/personal-attack.html

You're no fun.  ;)

-Blake