On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:04:22 -0400
Michael Jennings <e-devel@kainx.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 11 September 2006, at 15:49:22 (+0300),
> Eugen Minciu wrote:
>
> > There's www.enlightenment.org and www.e-develop.org and
> > www.get-e.org. This really seems like a far stretch to me, imho
> > there should be just one www.enlightenment.org
>
> edevelop.org is geared toward developers, not users.  I agree that
> there should not be a get-e.org, but there is.  It's far more
> political than practical (as to why it exists), but the bottom line is
> this:  Those who contribute to get-e refuse to contribute to
> enlightenment.org, and that's their choice.
>
> > This CMS you guys are using is ... not so good (to put it
> > lightly). Generally, one probably doesn't need a CMS but you do need
> > some sort of way to edit content quickly.
>
> It does have the advantage of serving static pages.  I couldn't name
> any other advantages, though.  Then again, no one has seen fit to
> provide me (or a number of other developers, from what I gather) with
> an account, so...

I can cache pages with Rails (quite easily). That should pretty much give you the same speed and is better because it keeps the data in the database too.

We could also do a dozen things which would take a million years to do with something like PHP. There is lots of code already written for Rails, which can easily be plugged in.

> > I have some experience with Ruby on Rails so I'm thinking I could
> > create your website and so on. If you want this done quickly, you'll
> > probably have to go for either XSM or another CMS.
> >
> > If not, I could write something that's tailored for your needs.
>
> Thanks, but I think we'd rather not.  Not many of us know or use Ruby,
> and some of the most fundamental Ruby software (Rake!) is broken.  I'd
> rather stick with something more mature and more supported by the
> developers.

You've told me this before. Rake works for me and just about anyone else I know. True, I use gems but I've used debian packages in the past and it still works fine. What exactly is wrong with it?

IIRC you had problems of some kind with building it. I've used it from debian packages, *buntu packages and I've used a FreeBSD port so other people don't seem to have this problem (or they seem to have packages)

Ruby is 11 years old. It's as stable as stable gets.

I need Rake to develop but you guys shouldn't need it to deploy. It's also not part of the Ruby distribution so I don't see why you should blame Ruby for your issues with Rake. And it's not 'fundamental' in any way, if you ask me.

Now about Rails. It's pretty new but catchy as hell, there are a lot of developers out there already. It lets you do very advanced stuff in very simple ways. It structures web development by design. And most of all, it's a framework, not just a language or a CMS.

As for not many of you guys using Ruby, you could create a separate module in the repo to store the site. That should make it pretty easy for anyone to contribute to the site and improve it.