I know that it has been brought up before, and been scoffed at, but I
would suggest a wiki setup, similar to what freedesktop.org,
cairographics.org, etc. have.  It seems to work well for them, and the
content is quite good and informative.  You can always restrict it to
validated accounts if you are worried about spam/useless information.
If you're worried about SQL, there are wiki's that don't require SQL,
such as MoinMoin.

On 9/11/06, Michael Jennings <e-devel@kainx.org> wrote:
On Monday, 11 September 2006, at 15:49:22 (+0300),
Eugen Minciu wrote:

> There's www.enlightenment.org and www.e-develop.org and
> www.get-e.org. This really seems like a far stretch to me, imho
> there should be just one www.enlightenment.org

edevelop.org is geared toward developers, not users.  I agree that
there should not be a get-e.org, but there is.  It's far more
political than practical (as to why it exists), but the bottom line is
this:  Those who contribute to get-e refuse to contribute to
enlightenment.org, and that's their choice.

> This CMS you guys are using is ... not so good (to put it
> lightly). Generally, one probably doesn't need a CMS but you do need
> some sort of way to edit content quickly.

It does have the advantage of serving static pages.  I couldn't name
any other advantages, though.  Then again, no one has seen fit to
provide me (or a number of other developers, from what I gather) with
an account, so...

> I have some experience with Ruby on Rails so I'm thinking I could
> create your website and so on. If you want this done quickly, you'll
> probably have to go for either XSM or another CMS.
>
> If not, I could write something that's tailored for your needs.

Thanks, but I think we'd rather not.  Not many of us know or use Ruby,
and some of the most fundamental Ruby software (Rake!) is broken.  I'd
rather stick with something more mature and more supported by the
developers.

On Monday, 11 September 2006, at 08:51:54 (-0500),
brian.mattern@gmail.com wrote:

> I like this idea. Personally, I was never clear on where either of
> the two 'other' domains came from. They just popped up and started
> serving content.

Pet projects.

> I'm assuming two different sets of people were frustrated with the
> limitations of hosting e.org on sf.net and independently went about
> rectifying things. (I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that
> :) )

Not exactly, but close enough.

Like I said, it was more political than practical.

Michael

 "If we keep silent, if we mass-defect, these very rocks will scream,
  'God is not a secret to be kept!'  And would I wash my hands again?
  Would I deny my Savior when He hung inside the public square?  Did
  not my silence put Him there?"                           -- Newsboys