On Sep 11, 2006, at 6:51 AM, brian.mattern@gmail.com wrote:

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 08:23:34AM -0500, Alberto Castro wrote:
Eugen Minciu wrote:

There's www.enlightenment.org and www.e-develop.org and www.get- e.org. This really seems like a far stretch to me, imho there should be just one www.enlightenment.org

I always thought proper to way to do this was to have
http://get.enlightenment.org and http://develop.enlightenment.org thus
using sub-domains rather than having 3 different entities.

I like this idea. Personally, I was never clear on where either of the
two 'other' domains came from. They just popped up and started serving
content. I'm assuming two different sets of people were frustrated with the limitations of hosting e.org on sf.net and independently went about rectifying things. (I'm not saying theres anything wrong with that :) )

<snip>

Indeed, this is why edevelop.org exists. It provides facilities that were previously not viable on enlightenment.org. We also didn't have control of the DNS at that time either.

I agree with Eugen. Ruby on Rails is the way to go, it provides a framework that almost any web developer in the future can look at and go "Ok, Ruby on Rails, I know how this is structured." It's also very nice to code in, and there are man ways to provide content. There are some pseudo-CMS that provide just the minimal framework to allow content to be added so that they don't get in the way of the rest of your code such as: http://radiantcms.org/

I have nothing against Andy, but personally I can't stand using XSM. It's unintuitive and cumbersome to work with. In my experience it's also been painfully slow. I don't think it's even worth discussing going back to the old CVS/HTML setup. The point is to encourage _casual_ contribution, not to make it hard, which it seems like that's all we've done so far.

The benefit of using Ruby on Rails is that we can leverage a lot of code that exists as gems or plugins but still build it exactly the way we need. We'll be able to provide all of features of get-e.org and edevelop.org in one place, in a coherent way. I would love to help with this.

-Blake