On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:22:36 +0100 Andrew Williams <andy@handyande.co.uk>
babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:48:51 -0500 brian.mattern@gmail.com babbled:
> >
> >> I know Ben (the peudo-official web maintainer) has been super busy with
> >> work and Opensolaris, and has a personal distaste for CMSs (such as the
> >> one e.org currently uses, XSM). I believe the whole point of originally
> >> moving to a CMS was to allow a much larger group of people to contribute
> >> to the site's content, but that hasn't happened yet.
> >>

> > indeed. i am wondering if it ever will. maybe the experiment failed?
> >

> Whether this particular implementation of the experiment failed or not I
> think it is unwise to be going back to web-in-cvs as it was far harder
> to use!

well i'd agree that web in cvs likely is a bad idea again (though benr thinks
it was great) :)

> >> Finally, I think we need some sort of intro doc on how to use XSM, and
> >> a small guideline doc on what goes where on the website.
> >>

> > sure - either that or not use xsm? xsm has been good - it has solved
> > problems. it will run much better locally on the same box, but will it
> > scale nicely to auto-listing generated tarball snapshots from a directory
> > for us? we will need to pre-generate pages from templates in scripts, or do
> > them dynamically with php etc. (much like enlightenment.freedesktop.org
> > does - its very simple php to collate a set of generated tarballs)
> >
> XSM supports embedded PHP if you wish. It is switched off by default as
> it can represent a huge security hole. This would allow scripts to run
> in a properly managed hig-load ready web site.

sure - i would only use php for things like auto-generating tables and entries
on a page from things like disk contents (put tarballs in a dir - the download
page links etc. are generated from that)

> >> I know there's a web list, but I first wanted to discuss this here,
> >> since it involves possibly moving servers.
> >>
> >> Let me know what ya'll think.
> >>

> > and finally i'm getting back to it... hooray! :) some of this will be solved
> > soon - the question is how to move forward from there? how do we make it
> > easier for people to provide news and articles? xsm has not proven
> > effective so far in making that happen. what can we do?
> >
> Is this XSM that has proved ineffective or the CMS genre? (open question
> :) )

i really don't know. i am hoping for input. is it because xsm has not been open
enough? (don't think so) - is it's ui too hard to use? is it too much - where
all we need is a "add news articles and pages" (wiki-style)? is it just that
xsm was hard to use because of the slow rsync to sf.net? i am making no claims
one way or another EXCEPT that we have not built a willing army of contributors
to the website :)