Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:48:51 -0500 brian.mattern@gmail.com babbled:
>
>> I know Ben (the peudo-official web maintainer) has been super busy with
>> work and Opensolaris, and has a personal distaste for CMSs (such as the
>> one e.org currently uses, XSM). I believe the whole point of originally
>> moving to a CMS was to allow a much larger group of people to contribute
>> to the site's content, but that hasn't happened yet.
>>

> indeed. i am wondering if it ever will. maybe the experiment failed?

Whether this particular implementation of the experiment failed or not I
think it is unwise to be going back to web-in-cvs as it was far harder
to use!

>> Finally, I think we need some sort of intro doc on how to use XSM, and
>> a small guideline doc on what goes where on the website.
>>

> sure - either that or not use xsm? xsm has been good - it has solved problems.
> it will run much better locally on the same box, but will it scale nicely to
> auto-listing generated tarball snapshots from a directory for us? we will need
> to pre-generate pages from templates in scripts, or do them dynamically with php
> etc. (much like enlightenment.freedesktop.org does - its very simple php to
> collate a set of generated tarballs)

XSM supports embedded PHP if you wish. It is switched off by default as
it can represent a huge security hole. This would allow scripts to run
in a properly managed hig-load ready web site.
>> I know there's a web list, but I first wanted to discuss this here,
>> since it involves possibly moving servers.
>>
>> Let me know what ya'll think.
>>

> and finally i'm getting back to it... hooray! :) some of this will be solved
> soon - the question is how to move forward from there? how do we make it easier
> for people to provide news and articles? xsm has not proven effective so far in
> making that happen. what can we do?

Is this XSM that has proved ineffective or the CMS genre? (open question
:) )

Andy