On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:48:51 -0500 brian.mattern@gmail.com babbled:

> As many may have noticed, e's official website, enlightenmnet.org is
> pretty painfully out of date. The screenshots on the front page are all
> from e16, and there have been a total of 3 news items this year.

yup. i have been mulling what to do about this for a while.

FYI we are getting a new box - donated to us from coolcheeze (from the arcane
linux project - he also does consulting and box building). a fairly beefy box.
it will be on 100mbit at osuosl and has a fair bit of juice (dual opteron, 2gb
ram, sata raid). i am thinking

1. anoncvs will move here.
2. move www for e.org here - now we have 100% control over what we can run and
how it runs. we can trivially run scripts to auto-build daily tarballs (make
dist ones) and more. i think this may make a good case for e.org re-vamps to
accommodate such things - and maybe a complete re-design. our current layout
has been with us for many years (the logic - not the imagery) and it might be
time to trim it down and make it more accessible.

i have been thinking we need simple links:

-----------
about
news
screenshots
download
bugs
contact
-----------
documentation
cvs
debugging
0.16
0.17
core libraries
widget sets

and that's about it. there is a little bit too much to wade through - also it's
not named with common conventions (get enlightenment instead of download for
example).

we can put documentation and that stuff as maybe extra links below the main
ones, but the main common ones in big bold and easy to find links (maybe the
front page just becomes a quick header, 3 line blurb and big fat image links to
the most common sections listed first above (6 of them).

> I know Ben (the peudo-official web maintainer) has been super busy with
> work and Opensolaris, and has a personal distaste for CMSs (such as the
> one e.org currently uses, XSM). I believe the whole point of originally
> moving to a CMS was to allow a much larger group of people to contribute
> to the site's content, but that hasn't happened yet.

indeed. i am wondering if it ever will. maybe the experiment failed?

> So, I'd like to propose that we do a few things.
>
> First, restructure the front page to contain a brief description of what
> the Enlightenment project is, followed by news items that get regularly
> updated. Whenever an asparagus release is made, a note should be added.
> Whenever new fun features are added, or obscure bugs finally squashed, a
> note should be added. We needed at least two or three people who are
> familiar enough with whats going on to take on these responsibilities.

sure. we also need to make this easy to do - maybe even automated?

> Next, I know there have been a few issues with XSM and
> sf.net. When a change is made, the entire site is rebuilt and re-uploaded to
> sf.net. This can take a few minutes, and isn't always successful (sometimes
> resulting in a blank front page). Is there any chance we could move
> e.org onto a non-sf server (one that we can have XSM running locally
> on)? Would CaOS be willing to host the website also? (its static, so
> shouldn't be much more load on top of cvs).

see above. will be happening in the next 1-3 weeks. people will get accounts -
appropriate people will get root access etc. etc. :) this can be the beginning
of our online empire to rule the world... MUAHAHHAHAHAH. just kidding - but it
will allow us to provide online services to E itself later - like online update
to help/faq docs so users can find help on what they want more quickly without
needing to launch web browsers etc.

> Finally, I think we need some sort of intro doc on how to use XSM, and
> a small guideline doc on what goes where on the website.

sure - either that or not use xsm? xsm has been good - it has solved problems.
it will run much better locally on the same box, but will it scale nicely to
auto-listing generated tarball snapshots from a directory for us? we will need
to pre-generate pages from templates in scripts, or do them dynamically with php
etc. (much like enlightenment.freedesktop.org does - its very simple php to
collate a set of generated tarballs)

> I know there's a web list, but I first wanted to discuss this here,
> since it involves possibly moving servers.
>
> Let me know what ya'll think.

and finally i'm getting back to it... hooray! :) some of this will be solved
soon - the question is how to move forward from there? how do we make it easier
for people to provide news and articles? xsm has not proven effective so far in
making that happen. what can we do?