Re: [E-devel] E CVS: libs/imlib2 kwo

On Thursday, 07 September 2006, at 16:16:06 (-0700),
Blake Barnett wrote:

> Let's see if I can work "teh mej" into a froth.

Death to Debianistas!  Long live Open Source!

> The break up of Xorg is a really good thing.  People can work on
> smaller parts of the code-base without worrying about the whole.
> Changes can (and apparently have been) happen faster.

"Faster changes" is not necessarily a good thing when you're talking
about a critical system component like X.

> Yes... it's a packagers nightmare, but in a lot ways it's a huge
> step forward.

I'm not going to say it is or isn't, but I do have my concerns.
Stability is of great importance.

> It's the same on Debian.

Well now I just feel all warm and fuzzy inside!  ;-P

> I do think a meta package "xorg-devel" or something similar in this
> case, that would depend on all those spaghetti packages would
> definitely be a good idea.

It's called "backward compatibility," and it's something Fedora
understands about as much as "apolitical."

Something, somewhere, somehow should be providing "XFree86-devel" and
"xorg-x11-devel" while requiring all those -devel packages.

Hopefully RHEL customers will demand that this be fixed.  Of course,
since you can't upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL4 using their own tools, I'm
not holding my breath.

Michael

 "Remember kids, if there's a loaded gun in the room, be sure that
  you're the one holding it."                        -- Captain Combat