Re: [E-devel] Evas (evas_fb_test) crashing on 8bps framebuffers

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 15:20:05 +0200 Rene Rebe <rene@exactcode.de> babbled:

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 05 September 2006 15:02, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > > Any chance this can be fixed, e.g. FBIOGETCMAP  the palette and setup
> > > the 8bit converter for it? As far as I can see the 8bit converter is
> > > already there for the 8bps xlib case.
> >
> > unlikely as it's 1. not a priority, 2. not needed for us, 3. no one is
> > paying us to do this (it's done for fun in spare time, so our priorities
> > are our own).
> >
> > but... patches gladly accepted :)
>
> Of course I did not expect anyone to fix it for me, I just wanted to know from
> the Evas overguru if said steps would be needed to address this.
>
> I noticed this because I'm right now working on the third user-space
> boot screen (splash) project because usplash and splashy are just
> crap all over.
>
> I think some few lines of glue code with Evas doing the rendering would
> be a awesome alternative. Maybe I come back in some days with some
> real world code ,-)

excellent! - though note - it is very easy to just run in 16bpp or 24bpp -
these days there is no excuse not to run in 16bpp at least. the difference in
quality between 8 and 16 is ENORMOUS and there isn't a "sane" gfx card today
that can't do 16bpp - if it can do 8. if you are doing graphical splashes... it
can be in 16bpp - or 24/32 :) trust me though - the quality difference is
amazing. 8bpp just looks completely awful if you need to do generic rendering
and thus pre-allocate a color-cube palette. :(