Re: [E-devel] .eap files for modules

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:09:24 +0900 "David Stevenson" <david.35472@gmail.com>
babbled:

> > anyway - in removing the ipc, we also remove all the code needing to
> > handle if/when the modules are screwed with from elsewhere etc. making e 1.
> > more maintainable, 2. less liable to have bugs, 3. smaller, 4. faster to
> > develop for. i am ONLY proposing we remove the ipc handlers for stuff that
> > *IS* fully implemented in a gui. then it acts also as a todo list of things
> > we need to still add a gui for :)
>
> I hope other readers haven't missed this, buried deep into my tedious email
> - others will surely have thoughts on this.
> As a user I personally only use enlightenment_remote for re-setting my
> config after it gets wiped out (this is quite nice really, during
> development). Otherwise, hmmm.

actually - the code is not at a stage where it almost never wipes config - just
extends - so e_ipc's usefulness is becoming dubious. for code that makes up 5%
of e17's code in 1 lump - thats a lot of code that has dubious use value when
the same features are available via the gui. the gui should also prevent users
shooting themselves in the foot - ipc doesn't. i woudln't remove it entirely,
but i'd heavily trip it down to maybe issuing restarts, exit, logout etc.
requests - feeding in actions from a script, and maybe later querying for data
that might be useful from management scripts.

> Restarting on the one time you change your language is not too bad I
> guess...

yeah - we can live with it. :)