Re: [E-devel] AIGLX

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:59:01 -0400 "Carl Bolduc" <drcurl@gmail.com> babbled:

Hi,

Now that AIGLX is inside xorg, is there plans for E to use composite effects
such as the ones that metacity and compiz are using? Maybe in 0.18 ;)

Bye bye,

we have made it clear - e17 is not using xcomposite & friends - they are too
immature, unstable and resource intensive. aiglx SIMPLY allows for a GL based
composite manager to work sanely - it makes it possible. you are free to write
a gl based composite manager - if you like - but we have a lot more important
things to work on that don't rely on closed drivers to work properly or
bleeding edge hardware.

X in general has big big big big issues w3hen it comes to video memory
management in composited environments. if you don't have at least 128mb of video
ram - forget it (imho). and even if you do - the more, the better.

the technology needs to mature - the drivers need to - x needs to.

But there is a module in e_modules (bling?) which is a preliminary composite manager. Needs more work though.

Sebastian