Re: [E-devel] shelf contents

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:24:26 +0200 Massimo Maiurana <maiurana@gmail.com>
babbled:

> brian.mattern@gmail.com, il 28/08/2006 21:59, scrisse:
>
> >> I opened veramono.ttf with fontforge (a font editor) and it looks
> >> like all its chars are indeed of the same size (1233). I don't
> >> understand why it moves the string when displaying the number 3 :-?
> >
> > Vera Mono works fine here. What Hinting mode are you using?
> > (configuration > fonts > hinting)
> >
> > Using Bytecode here, and all characters display at the same width.
>
> I was using "automatic" because it's the only hinting mode which
> display fine on my desktop (both "bytecode" and "no hinting" looks
> ugly here).
> indeed with bytecode the string doesn't move, while with no hinting
> the string moves when displying the number 1.
> so should I live with that (or change the format string to not
> display seconds)?
> can I do something to make bytecode looks better (e.g. some options
> to recompile freetype)?

yes. your distribution policy has turned off bytecode hinting (this is also the
best quality rendering with ttf fonts too as they were designed to allow
hinting to produce perfect outlines on pixel displays). this is done because
apple holds a patent on this technology and will not allow freetype or open
software to use it royalty-free (apple simply have not said anything - not yes,
not no, just nothing, last i checked, so this means that using the technology
COULD mean that apple will sue - but you don't know because they will not take
a stand on it).