Re: [E-devel] New patch for entranced and entrance

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 00:50:31 +0100 Essien Ita Essien <essien@wazobialinux.com>
babbled:

> Justin Patrin wrote:
> > On 8/28/06, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster@rasterman.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:55:19 +0200 Sebastian Dransfeld
> >> <sebastid@stud.ntnu.no> babbled:

> >> well- it does NEED to inherit DISPLAY... for starters. :) the problem is
> >> actually entrance executing enlightenment directly. no other dm does this
> >> as best i know. every login session is first executed by a shell which then
> >> executes the wm or session manager etc. thus the behavior issues. wm's
> >> like e expect to have a users environment already loaded by the time they
> >> run. (ie users $PATH is set and all the other goodies a user wants in
> >> their SHELL)
> >>

> > FWIW I have also modified entrance to start a shell script instead of
> > X directly for use in OpenZaurus to allow the normal X startup scripts
> > to be run.
> >

> In that case, what's the right approach here? I don't pretend to know
> which is prefarable really. Raster, is there something unique about E
> that necessitated Entrance to be written that way? Or would it be better
> for E as a whole if it where changed to be more like others... roughly
> in the direction that Justin has gone for OpenZaurus?

there is nothing unique or special about e17 that entrance needs to worry or
care about. entrance and e are entirely separate things. they are only related
in that they use the same libraries and look similar. e needs/wants nothing
special from entrance that it doesnt expect from any login manager or x launch
script/setup (ie it expects that by the time e runs the users environment is
loaded and e will inherit it)