Re: [E-devel] New patch for entranced and entrance

It _should_ inherit DISPLAY (as it's passed through a parameter to the function. This thing does work on my machine, remember?

Also Essien told me he is currently working on fixing up session detection through ecore_desktop, so this may just be a case of our code not playing nice together ;)

Could someone else test this? Pretty please? .

If this doesn't work and you decide you do want a shell to be launched (it might be better indeed), could we at least do the 'bash first' thing so systems with /bin/sh linking to braindamaged shells like dash can work? (as long as the _do_ have bash). We could also try other ones, bash is just the only one I know that works for sure with the SIGUSR1 thingie.

Cheers,
Eugen.

On 8/29/06, Essien Ita Essien < essien@wazobialinux.com> wrote:
Justin Patrin wrote:
> On 8/28/06, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster@rasterman.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:55:19 +0200 Sebastian Dransfeld < sebastid@stud.ntnu.no>
>> babbled:

>>> clearenv must stay. The user must not inherit any environment from entrance.
>>>
>> well- it does NEED to inherit DISPLAY... for starters. :) the problem is
>> actually entrance executing enlightenment directly. no other dm does this as
>> best i know. every login session is first executed by a shell which then
>> executes the wm or session manager etc. thus the behavior issues. wm's like e
>> expect to have a users environment already loaded by the time they run. (ie
>> users $PATH is set and all the other goodies a user wants in their SHELL)
>>

> FWIW I have also modified entrance to start a shell script instead of
> X directly for use in OpenZaurus to allow the normal X startup scripts
> to be run.

In that case, what's the right approach here? I don't pretend to know
which is prefarable really. Raster, is there something unique about E
that necessitated Entrance to be written that way? Or would it be better
for E as a whole if it where changed to be more like others... roughly
in the direction that Justin has gone for OpenZaurus?