Re: [E-devel] New patch for entranced and entrance

Justin Patrin wrote:
On 8/28/06, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster@rasterman.com> wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:55:19 +0200 Sebastian Dransfeld <sebastid@stud.ntnu.no>
babbled:

Eugen Minciu wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:29:08 +0100
Essien Ita Essien <essien@wazobialinux.com> wrote:

Well .. then maybe we shouldn't clearenv() in the first place? We may not
need to, since setenv(x,y,1) is called, which overwrites the var's contents
anyway. I didn't want to try it before because I suspected clearenv() was
there for good reasons (and it feels right, too).

However, it's strange you should mention this .. there is:
entrance_auth_setup_environment(Entrance_Auth * e, const char *display,
const char *path) so the display is sent as a paramter and it _should be_
set by the function itself.

Could you investigate this a bit further? I'm willing to try not clearenv()
- ing but it may introduce some even subtler (and weirder) problems. If you
think it shouldn't though I'll try it out later on tonight, when I've some
free time on my hands.
clearenv must stay. The user must not inherit any environment from entrance.
well- it does NEED to inherit DISPLAY... for starters. :) the problem is
actually entrance executing enlightenment directly. no other dm does this as
best i know. every login session is first executed by a shell which then
executes the wm or session manager etc. thus the behavior issues. wm's like e
expect to have a users environment already loaded by the time they run. (ie
users $PATH is set and all the other goodies a user wants in their SHELL)

FWIW I have also modified entrance to start a shell script instead of
X directly for use in OpenZaurus to allow the normal X startup scripts
to be run.

In that case, what's the right approach here? I don't pretend to know which is prefarable really. Raster, is there something unique about E that necessitated Entrance to be written that way? Or would it be better for E as a whole if it where changed to be more like others... roughly in the direction that Justin has gone for OpenZaurus?