Re: [E-devel] New patch for entranced and entrance

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:55:19 +0200 Sebastian Dransfeld <sebastid@stud.ntnu.no>
babbled:

> Eugen Minciu wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:29:08 +0100
> > Essien Ita Essien <essien@wazobialinux.com> wrote:
> >
> > Well .. then maybe we shouldn't clearenv() in the first place? We may not
> > need to, since setenv(x,y,1) is called, which overwrites the var's contents
> > anyway. I didn't want to try it before because I suspected clearenv() was
> > there for good reasons (and it feels right, too).
> >
> > However, it's strange you should mention this .. there is:
> > entrance_auth_setup_environment(Entrance_Auth * e, const char *display,
> > const char *path) so the display is sent as a paramter and it _should be_
> > set by the function itself.
> >
> > Could you investigate this a bit further? I'm willing to try not clearenv()
> > - ing but it may introduce some even subtler (and weirder) problems. If you
> > think it shouldn't though I'll try it out later on tonight, when I've some
> > free time on my hands.
>
> clearenv must stay. The user must not inherit any environment from entrance.

well- it does NEED to inherit DISPLAY... for starters. :) the problem is
actually entrance executing enlightenment directly. no other dm does this as
best i know. every login session is first executed by a shell which then
executes the wm or session manager etc. thus the behavior issues. wm's like e
expect to have a users environment already loaded by the time they run. (ie
users $PATH is set and all the other goodies a user wants in their SHELL)