Re: [E-devel] Remember Window Positions applies to all child windows too

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 19:24:25 +0200 Kim Woelders <kim@woelders.dk> babbled:

> Peter wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:02:23 +0900, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> > wrote:
> >
> > snip...
> >
> >>again - the big problem is that many apps - even major ones, do not provide
> >>sane ways to differentiate their main windows vs. subwindows and dialogs
> >>etc. if titlebars change as they do with web browsers - then that property
> >>is not useful to use to match up a window. often icon name changes too like
> >>the title. the app could set a role property - but it doesn't (role of the
> >>window is a dialog or whatever). unless apps play along and provide ways to
> >>differentiate - -we are stuck. the problem is this is an entirely hackish
> >>inexact science to guess what is what. often its just not possible at all -
> >>sometimes it is possible if u dig through enough properties. there could be
> >>room for more heuristics to figure such things out - but right now they are
> >>not there.
> >>

> > All right. As a final thought, e16 handles this fine and does not exhibit
> > the problems I described here.
> >
> >>From an e16 snapshot file:
> > NEW: evolution-2.4.Evolution-2.4
> > NAME: evolution-2.4
> > CLASS: Evolution-2.4
> > RES: 1600 1200
> > XY: 0 15 0 0
> >
> > This only affects the main evo window. Any subwindows are not affected.
> > Good Luck and thanks for taking a look.
> >
> Maybe the reason why this works in e16 is that each "snapshot" only is
> applied to one matching window, whereas the e17 settings are applied to
> all matching windows (like the e16 windowmatches).

correct - e17 has an option to work like e16 (though it is broken - only the
first match works. once used up more instances won't work). it's there in the
advanced dialog - checkbox :)