Re: [E-devel] Remember Window Positions applies to all child windows too

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:02:23 +0900, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
wrote:

snip...

> again - the big problem is that many apps - even major ones, do not provide
> sane ways to differentiate their main windows vs. subwindows and dialogs etc.
> if titlebars change as they do with web browsers - then that property is not
> useful to use to match up a window. often icon name changes too like the title.
> the app could set a role property - but it doesn't (role of the window is a
> dialog or whatever). unless apps play along and provide ways to differentiate -
> -we are stuck. the problem is this is an entirely hackish inexact science to
> guess what is what. often its just not possible at all - sometimes it is
> possible if u dig through enough properties. there could be room for more
> heuristics to figure such things out - but right now they are not there.

All right. As a final thought, e16 handles this fine and does not exhibit
the problems I described here.

>From an e16 snapshot file:
NEW: evolution-2.4.Evolution-2.4
NAME: evolution-2.4
CLASS: Evolution-2.4
RES: 1600 1200
XY: 0 15 0 0

This only affects the main evo window. Any subwindows are not affected.
Good Luck and thanks for taking a look.

--
Peter
+++++