Re: [E-devel] Remember Window Positions applies to all child windows too

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 00:13:57 +0000 (UTC) "Peter" <sw98234@hotmail.com> babbled:

> On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:13:26 +0900, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> wrote:
>
> snip...
> >>
> >> IMO, proper behavior should be that child windows open to their
> >> defaults, not to the size of the parent. Is there a way for E to
> >> distinguish?
> >
> > that's why in the advanced remember there are options to also use title,
> > window type and transient status. i could add icon name i guess too, but
> > some apps just don't lend themselves to being remembered as they dont
> > make ti easy to tell windows apart.
> >

> Well, wouldn't an easier solution be to allow remember to apply settings
> only to the parent (i.e. main) window? Most users, when E is released,
> won't want to or care to mess with xprop to see what goodies are hidden in
> their application's window frame.

in these cases e doesn't KNOW what window is a parent and child - the dialogs
don't have transient for hints set. as far as any other app in x knows the 2
windows are independent toplevel windows.

> >From my POV, a window's position should be applied when the application
> starts, not for subordinate windows unless requested (they could be
> remembered too).

again - the big problem is that many apps - even major ones, do not provide
sane ways to differentiate their main windows vs. subwindows and dialogs etc.
if titlebars change as they do with web browsers - then that property is not
useful to use to match up a window. often icon name changes too like the title.
the app could set a role property - but it doesn't (role of the window is a
dialog or whatever). unless apps play along and provide ways to differentiate -
-we are stuck. the problem is this is an entirely hackish inexact science to
guess what is what. often its just not possible at all - sometimes it is
possible if u dig through enough properties. there could be room for more
heuristics to figure such things out - but right now they are not there.