Re: [E-devel] Remember Window Positions applies to all child windows too

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:13:26 +0900, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
wrote:

snip...

>> IMO, proper behavior should be that child windows open to their
>> defaults, not to the size of the parent. Is there a way for E to
>> distinguish?
>
> that's why in the advanced remember there are options to also use title,
> window type and transient status. i could add icon name i guess too, but
> some apps just don't lend themselves to being remembered as they dont
> make ti easy to tell windows apart.

Well, wouldn't an easier solution be to allow remember to apply settings
only to the parent (i.e. main) window? Most users, when E is released,
won't want to or care to mess with xprop to see what goodies are hidden in
their application's window frame.

>From my POV, a window's position should be applied when the application
starts, not for subordinate windows unless requested (they could be
remembered too).

JM2C.

--
Peter