Re: [E-devel] edje gradient fill

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 06:04:51AM +0000, jose_ogp@juno.com wrote:

> 	Brian writes:
>
> > Since this only makes sense for linear grads, i'll probably
> > just add:
> >
> > gradient.rel1.relative
> > gradient.rel1.offset
> > gradient.rel2.relative
> > gradient.rel2.offset
> >
> > these will only be used by linear grads, overriding fill.angle,
> > fill.position.* and fill.size.* if present.
> >
> 	Here's another possible way that may be simpler:
>
> 	Give the angle another parameter besides its value, namely
> the line rel to which it's to be taken -- eg. let's write
> angle: 30.5  rel_x;
> to mean the angle is 30.5 degrees rel to the x axis - this is the
> default and would be the same as
> angle: 30.5;
>
> 	Then besides 'rel_x', you can have 'rel_y' to mean rel to the
> y-axis, so that
> angle: 30.5  rel_y;
> would be the same as
> angle: 120.5  rel_x;
>
> 	Now, also have a 'rel_xy', meaning rel to the diagonal, ie.
> angle: 30.5  rel_xy;
> 	This would then be the same as
> angle: (30.5 + atan2(br_y, br_x))  rel_x;
> where br_x, br_y here stand for the x,y coords of the bottom-right
> point.
>
> > (you can't use these semantics for images without an additional
> > "width perpendicular to orientation line" parameter, which wouldn't
> > really be useful in most cases. we'd still need to figure out
> > some way of specifying "width of image fill = height of part)
>
> 	Sure you could.. there are natural candidates for default
> values you can use - as to usefull.. well, that's another matter :)
>
> > too late. i already added rel1/rel2 support to edje.
> > my reasoning:
> > A) linear gradient are by far the most common.
> > B) origin/size filling is largely useless for linear grads (since
> > its applied before the angle)
> >
> 	Not always.. but see above if it may be simpler as a means
> of specifying what you want.. or not :)

All this solves one issue (specifying a 'dynamic' angle e.g. corner to
corner) but still doesnt' solve the main issue I had. Namely: Draw a
horizontal linear gradient completely filling its bounding rectangle.

> > Anway, the grad wallpaper dialog works much better now.
>
> 	What's a "grad wallpaper dialog"?

in recent e17, config > wallpaper > gradient

lets you create gradient backgrounds (currently limited to a few set
styles -- a full blown bg editor would have more capabilities)