Re: [E-devel] Devian module proposal

Ah.. I misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to show an entire
single message not all the message headers. (I should read twice)
Now it sounds like a great idea. Make it! I'll use it!

It would also be a nice addition to the mail module.
When the mail module says you've got new mail.. you either hover/click
on it and it'll show the message headers in a tiny popup.

On 8/19/06, Eugen Minciu <minciue@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:42:49 -0500
"Sthithaprajna Garapaty" <iamsthitha@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its definitely possible. You might be limited to a text or very
> limited html mail viewer.

Or you could not display the body for html messages and just do it for text ones, or not display the body at all. What I want is a way to see if the latest email in my inbox is worth reading.

In this case.. you could strip out the tags of html and display the
first paragraph or so of text.

> However, I believe it is a lot more work on top of the mail module.
> Plus, you need to deal with issues like.. which mail do you show on
> there? Is it always the latest email?
Well you see the latest RSS feed don't you?

> What if the latest email sends
> to be spam.. do you really want that on your desktop? Do you want a
> whole menu system so the user can select the email to be displayed?

Well, if it's in my inbox I'll see it when I open my mail application anyway. While I agree that this is objectionable, that's why it's a module. If you have children or can't stand spam messages on your desktop you don't turn it on.

> Also, while it sounds like an interesting idea.. I dont see much use
> for it when I can see ALL my email (not just one) by firing up my mail
> client.

Because it would be more efficient then keeping an email client open at all times (less mem), because I could see it without specifically  looking for the email client, and because it isn't an extra opened window (which gets in my way).