Re: [E-devel] Devian module proposal

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:42:49 -0500
"Sthithaprajna Garapaty" <iamsthitha@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its definitely possible. You might be limited to a text or very
> limited html mail viewer.

Or you could not display the body for html messages and just do it for text ones, or not display the body at all. What I want is a way to see if the latest email in my inbox is worth reading.

> However, I believe it is a lot more work on top of the mail module.
> Plus, you need to deal with issues like.. which mail do you show on
> there? Is it always the latest email?
Well you see the latest RSS feed don't you?

> What if the latest email sends
> to be spam.. do you really want that on your desktop? Do you want a
> whole menu system so the user can select the email to be displayed?

Well, if it's in my inbox I'll see it when I open my mail application anyway. While I agree that this is objectionable, that's why it's a module. If you have children or can't stand spam messages on your desktop you don't turn it on.

> Also, while it sounds like an interesting idea.. I dont see much use
> for it when I can see ALL my email (not just one) by firing up my mail
> client.

Because it would be more efficient then keeping an email client open at all times (less mem), because I could see it without specifically  looking for the email client, and because it isn't an extra opened window (which gets in my way).