[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.



On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:39:42 -0500 Frederick Reeve <cylix@solace.info> babbled:

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:55:02 -0400
> Michael Jennings <e-devel@kainx.org> wrote:
> 
> > On Thursday, 17 August 2006, at 11:15:50 (+0300),
> > Eugen Minciu wrote:
> > 
> > > Any statistics on the load when 24 anon checkouts occur?
> > 
> > Not specifically, but over the past 24 hours, the max 1 minute load
> > average was 17.55, and the max 15 minute load average was 8.56.
> > 
> > Looks like 1800-2200 UTC is our peak time frame.
> > 
> 
> Is there anyway we can tell if the main problem is new checkouts or updates?
> I ask because it seems the main problem is new checkouts and cpu seems less
> of a problem than bandwidth.  At least it seems that way as I have read this
> thread.
> 
> Here is my thinking on the matter.  I update my repository about 3 times a
> week.  If this kind of use is OK?  Then my proposal could be something along
> these lines.  
> 
>     1.  Weekly cvs tarbals.
>     2.  anon cvs with checkout disabled. cvs only has update ability ( so
> users can update the tarball only). Tarballs could be bittorent pushed if
> wanted.
>     3.  Have a "recomended" update script downloadable from one of the sites
> get-e maybe.
> 
> or if you wanted to go really crazy.  Require login for anon and sign up for
> a login on get-e maybe.  Do some minor hacking of cvs,git,svn or something
> that provides the following.
> 
>     1.  use sqlite or berklydb to track users a little.
>     2.  limits the number of checkouts.  (say one per 3 months)
>     3.  limits the number of updates.  (say 3 per week :-))

requiring a login would also allow us to track users more easily - especially
"problem" users - as you say, but we would need infrastructure to have people
create logins by themselves (a web page most likely) - not keen on doing that
myself.

> The above has the disadvantage of not scaling well across mutiple cvs
> mirrors.  However if the web site knows about the cvs mirrors it can send new
> users to a mirror say round robin or all mirrors can have a full user list
> updated by the web server say rsync style or even scp on a timer.
> 
> If your are really interested in one of these options I can see about making
> the changes to cvs etc.  There maybe many other reasons this is not practical
> just thought I would share.
> 
> As a casual user I really don't want to lose cvs update but I understand if
> that is what is needed (not using gentoo btw).  I watch this project very
> closely though I have not been envolved much ( 2 patches weee ).  Anyway I
> hope this is a help not hinderance to this discussion.
> 
> Frederick
> 
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
> Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
> _______________________________________________
> enlightenment-devel mailing list
> enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/enlightenment-devel
> 


-- 
------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------
The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster@rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)