Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:55:02 -0400
Michael Jennings <e-devel@kainx.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, 17 August 2006, at 11:15:50 (+0300),
> Eugen Minciu wrote:
>
> > Any statistics on the load when 24 anon checkouts occur?
>
> Not specifically, but over the past 24 hours, the max 1 minute load
> average was 17.55, and the max 15 minute load average was 8.56.
>
> Looks like 1800-2200 UTC is our peak time frame.

Is there anyway we can tell if the main problem is new checkouts or updates?  I ask because it seems the main problem is new checkouts and cpu seems less of a problem than bandwidth.  At least it seems that way as I have read this thread.

Here is my thinking on the matter.  I update my repository about 3 times a week.  If this kind of use is OK?  Then my proposal could be something along these lines.

    1.  Weekly cvs tarbals.
    2.  anon cvs with checkout disabled. cvs only has update ability ( so users can update the tarball only). Tarballs could be bittorent pushed if wanted.
    3.  Have a "recomended" update script downloadable from one of the sites get-e maybe.

or if you wanted to go really crazy.  Require login for anon and sign up for a login on get-e maybe.  Do some minor hacking of cvs,git,svn or something that provides the following.

    1.  use sqlite or berklydb to track users a little.
    2.  limits the number of checkouts.  (say one per 3 months)
    3.  limits the number of updates.  (say 3 per week :-))

The above has the disadvantage of not scaling well across mutiple cvs mirrors.  However if the web site knows about the cvs mirrors it can send new users to a mirror say round robin or all mirrors can have a full user list updated by the web server say rsync style or even scp on a timer.

If your are really interested in one of these options I can see about making the changes to cvs etc.  There maybe many other reasons this is not practical just thought I would share.

As a casual user I really don't want to lose cvs update but I understand if that is what is needed (not using gentoo btw).  I watch this project very closely though I have not been envolved much ( 2 patches weee ).  Anyway I hope this is a help not hinderance to this discussion.

Frederick