Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Friday, 18 August 2006, at 08:21:17 (+0900),
Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> agreed. i am not advocating REMOVING anoncvs as such - just removing
> it as a "first priority anonymous source access" mechanism. putting
> anoncvs access info into fineprint in some obscure page linked off a
> download page. moving the "primary" access to something more
> server-friendly that matches people's needs better.

Unfortunately, the only thing this will *actually* accomplish is to
alter the #1 question in #E from "Where does raster get all those cute
inflatable sheep??" to "How do I get the latest E from CVS?"  :-(

> people dont NEED cvs. developers do. they simply need a way to "get
> the latest code". also for those speaking of the bandwidth issues -
> a LOT of people DONT keep their cvs trees after build they
> re-checkout a new tree.

Maybe someone should write a cvs pserver patch which disallows
checkouts and only permits updates.  That would alleviate that problem
quite quickly.  :-)

Michael

 "Men are not subtle.  We are obvious.  Women know what men want.  Men
  know what men want.  What do we want?  We want women!  That's it.
  It's the only thing we know for sure."             -- Jerry Seinfeld