Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:50:22 +0200 "Chady Kassouf" <chady.kassouf@gmail.com>
babbled:

> On 8/17/06, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster@rasterman.com> wrote:
> >

> > personally i would have no problem in a server-side auto-build of
> > tarballs.
> > what do people think? should we perhaps have the anoncvs server do daily
> > (or
> > maybe several times per day) builds of packages? not rpm or deb but "make
> > dist"; ie something like the following run maybe every 4 or 8 hours? once
> > a day?
>

> I think that while this option might be useful for load, it takes a lot more
> bandwidth, and is bad for users, as they would have to download hundreds of
> megabytes each time a 1 Kb patch is in.
>
> I vote for the cvs mirrors as at least it's easier on the user's AND the
> server's bandwidth.

actually - they can just download the tarball that changed (and that they
want) :)

frankly though - i think this will then discourage users to update as often as
they need to download more - and this will also be good. remember it also
removes all the "what version of autofoo will work" thing. they no longer need
to know nor care (and a "user" should never need to know or care or have any
autofoo even installed)