Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

* Chady Kassouf (chady.kassouf@gmail.com) wrote:
> On 8/17/06, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
> >personally i would have no problem in a server-side auto-build of
> >tarballs.  what do people think? should we perhaps have the anoncvs
> >server do daily (or maybe several times per day) builds of packages?
> >not rpm or deb but "make dist"; ie something like the following run
> >maybe every 4 or 8 hours? once a day?
> I think that while this option might be useful for load, it takes a
> lot more bandwidth, and is bad for users, as they would have to
> download hundreds of megabytes each time a 1 Kb patch is in.
>
> I vote for the cvs mirrors as at least it's easier on the user's AND
> the server's bandwidth.

Eventually I'll corner KainX and he'll tell me what setting I don't have
in mutt to read raster's emails other than through quotes.. anyway..

Were I suggesting merely a new tarball every day, then I'd agree. My
argument was for a weekly tarball and patches otherwise (and it doesn't
just have to be patches since the last weekly tarball). A lot of CPU
time and some bandwidth is consumed determining what changed since the
last time you sync'd up. If you _knew_ where that last sync point was
(e.g., yesterday's diff), then you'd be saving everyone a lot of
resources by just getting the pregenerated, precompressed version,
instead of making CVS do the diff, compressing on the fly (I'd like to
believe most people are using -z3 :)). As I read over and over that
people are using scripts to retrieve everything (be it ebuilds or
hand-rolled), this could easily be switched to.

* Hisham Mardam Bey (hisham.mardambey@gmail.com) wrote:
> On 8/17/06, Lyle Kempler <term-e1@twistedpath.org> wrote:
> > Personally I don't get why we're not creating nightly diffs and a
> > tarball once a week and letting people use that (it's not exactly
> > difficult to script). I highly doubt most users care about checkins
> > in the last few hours, and I suggested doing so I think way back in
> > January on IRC..
> Actually they are. You'd be surprised how many people build E (and
> related stuff) multiple times a day from anoncvs. Again, I agree with
> the majority that is suggesting the mirrors idea. CVS has its quirks
> here and there, but its been doing everything we wanted for a long
> time. I think that having a 2 or 3 anoncvs mirrors should solve our
> problems.

I am actually surprised that so many people are "a CVS junkie" :) ..
that's good feedback to have. I never advocated dumping the anoncvs
servers. I was saying that we could reduce demand (and therefore improve
performance for the remainder) by providing tarballs. And, as raster
said, there's nothing keeping us from producing patches every 4 hours,
etc..

term