Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:50:22 +0200 "Chady Kassouf"
<chady.kassouf@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/17/06, The Rasterman Carsten Haitzler <raster@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > personally i would have no problem in a server-side auto-build of
> > tarballs.
> > what do people think? should we perhaps have the anoncvs server do
> > daily (or
> > maybe several times per day) builds of packages? not rpm or deb but
> > "make dist"; ie something like the following run maybe every 4 or 8
> > hours? once a day?
>

> I think that while this option might be useful for load, it takes a
> lot more bandwidth, and is bad for users, as they would have to
> download hundreds of megabytes each time a 1 Kb patch is in.
>
> I vote for the cvs mirrors as at least it's easier on the user's AND
> the server's bandwidth.

We have two types of users, those that daily snapshots are good for,
and the cvs junkies.

Let cvs junkies rsync against the unpacked tarballs?

Snapshot it once a day, but build hourly patches against that days
snapshot?

Just throwing out some random ideas.