Re: [E-devel] wallpaper & theme dialogs

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 01:41:31 +0000 Aleksej Struk <astruk@gmail.com> babbled:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:16:11AM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:16:34 +0000 Aleksej Struk <astruk@gmail.com> babbled:
> >

> > > Hey all,
> > >
> > > I'm currently compiled the lates E cvs, and tried wallpaper and theme
> > > dialogs. So, I have some comments on them. IMHO the wallpaper/theme
> > > list is too small in height and width. It is quite hard to navigate it,
> > > at least for me, since I have to scroll the list too much. For example I
> > > have 5 themes installed, and I can see just two of theme in the
> > > selector. My current theme is the one before the last in the list. So,
> > > order to set the first theme I have to scroll the list. Would not be
> > > better to make these selector lists bigger, at least in height? Then I
> > > think the navigation would be much easier.
> >
> > you do know the dialog is resizable?
> > you do know you can use "remember" to remember your last size/location...
>
> Well, I know this :). Basically I tried to be as a newbeeee user that
> sees E first time in his/her life and tries to set a wallpaper/theme :)
>

> > the dialog is small by default so people stuck in 640x480 on vga screens can
> > at least USE the UI - unlike other desktops environment (gnome, kde, windows
> > xp) where some dialogs - especially ones for doing things like changing
> > screen resolution - do not fit in 640x480. you can't click "ok" to change
> > resolution in windows xp for example.
>
> Completely agree.
>

> > these are bad design errors. thus by default we try keep our dialogs within
> > 640x480. you are always free to resize the dialog to make it bigger. you can
> > ask e to remember this for you :)
>
> Can be dialogs be smart for example? Maybe they can have their minimum
> settings and optimal settings. Consequently, if it "sees" that cannot fit
> into entire screen, it uses minimum settings. Otherwise, it uses optimal
> settings.

what is optimal? i find that having the dialog as small as possible is optimal
as i keep the rest of my screen still to do other things at the same time...
personal preference. and seriously - how often do u change themes and need a
big long list - will you have 100 themes installed? i am doubtful :) the theme
dialog is actually no smaller - the left is smaller - it can display 3 instead
of 4 by default. not a lot of loss imho.

> Please do not kill me with arguments. I basically propose some
> ideas/solutions.

sure - noted. though i think i will worry about this later - this i consider
fine tuning somewhere near the end of development :)