Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Tuesday, 15 August 2006, at 14:48:36 (-0500),
Nathan Ingersoll wrote:

> Do we have any current statistics about the load on a CVS mirror?
> Might be easier to find more mirrors if we can give them some idea
> what sort of bandwidth, disk use and CPU load they can expect.

The repository currently requires just over 800MB.  The anoncvs server
has transmitted 206GB in the past 19 days, so about 11GB/day or so.
CPU load depends entirely on the box, but anoncvs is a P4 1.7 GHz with
15 minute load averages fairly consistently under 2.  And it's doing
several things, not just anoncvs.  So YMMV.

On Wednesday, 16 August 2006, at 08:43:22 (+0900),
Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> the compelling reason is that (apparently) anoncvs is straining
> under its load (again) and this happened so quickly that i am
> putting up a debate for alternate solutions - willing to discuss
> really anything :)

Not exactly.  The machine is doing fine; the only problem is that I
had to limit simultaneous CVS pserver connections to 1 per IP and 24
total to keep the box usable.  The result is that some people will
have their connections refused during peak times, but the machine
spends an awful lot of time doing nothing too, so unless everyone hits
it all at once, it's fine.

Would it help if I figured out the peak times for anoncvs and made
those public so that folks could schedule updates for other times?

On Tuesday, 15 August 2006, at 20:20:40 (-0400),
Kevin Brosius wrote:

> Hmmm. I'm not sure I see the logic that way.  We moved off sf to get
> the ability to do rsync backup of cvs (one of the reasons, along
> with some intermittent performance of dev and anon cvs.)  We now
> have solid dev cvs performance, rsync access, and better anon access
> (IMO.)

I agree.  I don't think it's quite time to throw in the towel.  I
think we just need one or two additional anoncvs boxes to share the
load.

> Are you against requesting offers of open anon mirrors?  With the
> rsync access, that seems easy, but of you want a anon cvs farm that
> has full status monitoring, then you're stepping the complexity up a
> bit.

As it stands now, anyone can run an anoncvs mirror simply by rsyncing
periodically.  If we had enough volunteers, we could create a mirror
list....

Michael

 "May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
                                                      -- George Carlin