Re: [E-devel] wallpaper & theme dialogs

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:16:11AM +0900, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:16:34 +0000 Aleksej Struk <astruk@gmail.com> babbled:
>

> > Hey all,
> >
> > I'm currently compiled the lates E cvs, and tried wallpaper and theme
> > dialogs. So, I have some comments on them. IMHO the wallpaper/theme
> > list is too small in height and width. It is quite hard to navigate it,
> > at least for me, since I have to scroll the list too much. For example I
> > have 5 themes installed, and I can see just two of theme in the
> > selector. My current theme is the one before the last in the list. So,
> > order to set the first theme I have to scroll the list. Would not be
> > better to make these selector lists bigger, at least in height? Then I
> > think the navigation would be much easier.
>
> you do know the dialog is resizable?
> you do know you can use "remember" to remember your last size/location...

Well, I know this :). Basically I tried to be as a newbeeee user that
sees E first time in his/her life and tries to set a wallpaper/theme :)

> the dialog is small by default so people stuck in 640x480 on vga screens can
> at least USE the UI - unlike other desktops environment (gnome, kde, windows
> xp) where some dialogs - especially ones for doing things like changing screen
> resolution - do not fit in 640x480. you can't click "ok" to change resolution
> in windows xp for example.

Completely agree.

> these are bad design errors. thus by default we try keep our dialogs within
> 640x480. you are always free to resize the dialog to make it bigger. you can
> ask e to remember this for you :)

Can be dialogs be smart for example? Maybe they can have their minimum
settings and optimal settings. Consequently, if it "sees" that cannot fit into entire
screen, it uses minimum settings. Otherwise, it uses optimal settings.

Please do not kill me with arguments. I basically propose some
ideas/solutions.