[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.



On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:58:42 -0400 Michael Jennings <e-devel@kainx.org> babbled:

> On Wednesday, 16 August 2006, at 04:09:54 (+1000),
> David Seikel wrote:
> 
> > I'm not assuming anything, I am responding to what you are actually
> > saying.
> 
> That was the first time you'd actually responded to *me*, and the only
> other response you made indirectly to me was about the backend.  I'll
> refer you to previous e-mails as to why the filesystem backend has
> significant performance issues (re: deltas) which make it
> counter-productive toward the performance goal.
> 
> > It's not a matter of opinion, you have stated things as fact that
> > are not true.
> 
> Name one thing.
> 
> It's true that SVN is almost always used with DAV and Apache.  Sure,
> there are exceptions here and there, but they are the minority.
> 
> The BDB backend is THE choice for performance, particularly with
> anonymous access.  I haven't heard anyone contradict that.
> 
> SVN does not support tagging and branching.  It supports copying,
> which creates a copy-on-write replica of part of the repository in
> another location in the repository.  While this can perform the same
> functions as tagging and branching, it is NOT the same thing.  That's
> not an opinion; that is fact.  Tagging is creating a label on a
> particular tree at a particular point, not creating a copy of the tree
> at that point.  Branching is forking a tree at a particular point.
> Copying is closer to branching than tagging, but it's still not the
> same.  The fundamental distinction is that tagging and branching
> happen *to* a tree; copying is necessarily *outside* the tree.  I'm
> sorry if you can't see that, but I (and many other developers) can and
> have run into the problems it creates.

i'm  on the  "much of a muchness" as to the copy vs. tag/branch thing here -
others may like to fine-grain use each and all - but i personally am quite
happy with a copy (on write) :)

NB - i didn't mean to make this be a "lets argue for the most powerful scms on
the planet" and if it does X or not - i know i am definitely not after "more
features" - i want to see if we can make anon "cvs" scale better on 1 box
before having to move to anoncvs mirror farms.

i just "heard" that svn is lighter on a system for anonymous access and i
wanted to find out if it is true - and if so - by how much (if it is by 10% -
forget it - but if you can server 3 or 5 or 10 times as many users given the
same  data and resources before you run out... then i see at least one viable
alternative to be CONSIDERED) :)

so basically - what i am saying is... lets keep this on topic - your original
comments were definitely read by me and noted. but now we have eugen going to
do some actual "benchmarks" and that is going to "excite" me :)

> > Others have corrected what you have been saying.
> 
> Whatever you say.
> 
> We're talking about performance here, and I don't see further
> discussion of Subversion's capabilities (or lacks thereof) are
> furthering that goal.

EXAAAAACTLY! :) on topic :)

> Michael
> 
> -- 
> Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej@kainx.org>
> n + 1, Inc., http://www.nplus1.net/       Author, Eterm (www.eterm.org)
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
>  "I now cry streams of blood because I had to take my stand.  I crush
>   my eyes beneath my heel as my heart pulses in my hand."
>                                                          -- "Forsaken"
> 
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
> Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier
> Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
> http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
> _______________________________________________
> enlightenment-devel mailing list
> enlightenment-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/enlightenment-devel
> 


-- 
------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------
The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster@rasterman.com
裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)