Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Tuesday, 15 August 2006, at 14:31:53 (-0700),
Inc wrote:

> well, I've done a bit of a research on SVN vs. CVS.

Research isn't what we need.  Performance comparison data is.

> The general census is that SVN was created to improve and replace
> CVS.

Yes, we know that.  Whether it actually achieved that goal or not is a
matter of opinion.

> I have heard its kinder to network resources and cpu usage and what
> not. The only thing is that it needs more disk space.

As they'd say in court, hearsay is not admissible as evidence. :-)

> at, that shouldn't matter. Also, yes this is a slightly stupid
> reason to use SVN, but I have enjoyed using SVN with trac for the
> web based source browser... It provides a great wiki / landmarks and
> what not. I enjoy it.

Personally I think Trac is a turd.  Their "wiki" syntax is completely
non-standard, their ticket system is underpowered, and their concept
of "milestones" is shaky at best.  I do agree that their source
browser is pretty nice, but I've seen better.  (Doxygen comes to
mind.)  But that's not the point, so I won't say any more on Trac.

Is your mirror offer still open?  Have you gotten one set up?

Michael

 "When I get the courage up to love somebody new, it always falls
  apart 'cause they just can't compare to you."
                          -- Boyz II Men, "Four Seasons of Loneliness"