Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:41:34 -0400 Michael Jennings <e-devel@kainx.org>
wrote:

> Exactly.  Have you met anyone who uses SVN without Apache?  Neither
> have I.

I'm using SVN without Apache.  Your anti-SVN message is starting to
sound like it's coming from someone that hasn't actually run a SVN
server recently.  It's like the "E is bloated and slow" I still get
very now and then, "sure E14 was, recent versions are anything but".

> FUD.  You can tag CVS without having a checkout.  (Try cvs -H rtag.)
> And SVN doesn't even HAVE tagging.  It has copying, which contrary to
> popular (SVN developer) belief, is NOT the same thing.  A (non-branch)
> tag is a symbolic name assigned to a particular state of the
> repository (i.e., a changeset).  It is not a copy.

Tagging and branching, when was the last time either occurred to E?

> But again, this is all moot.  I'm sure there are numerous people who
> would love to argue with me till doomsday about how great and
> wonderful Subversion is; many others have already tried.  It does
> absolutely NOTHING to address the question at hand:  Is anonymous SVN
> easier on the server than anonymous cvs?

I'm beginning to think that no one has any recent relevant experience
to answer that question.