Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:51:19 +0100 Shish <shish@shish.is-a-geek.net> babbled:

> > It's not true.  SVN requires a lot more overhead (including Apache
> > with SVN and DAV modules),
>
> They aren't required, they just make things easier. You can use a
> standalone svn daemon, or AFAIK have a client side client and server
> side client who talk over SSH (similar to rsync's two-client mode?).
> I've only ever used Apache + mod_svn myself though.
>
> Even if you do go the apache + mod_svn route, since when was apache
> known for being bloated and slow? (Sure it's slower than things like
> lighttpd, but even with all the bloat turned on the apache overhead is
> still tiny compared to the processor time spent getting actual work
> done)
>

> > uses a BDB backend (you remember your love of BDB, right?)
>
> Since a few years ago, it's been able to use a filesystem based
> database, which I've never had problems with (BDB kept me away from
> SVN for a while too, since it kept giving me headaches...)
>

> > and requires DOUBLE the amount of disk space for a
> > checkout.  Yes, I said double.
>
> Having a local copy of the unmodified source makes things like taking
> diffs or reverting changes *much* faster, and zero load on the server.

load on the sever here isnt important - u devs cause very little/no load - its
anon users that kill things. :) but yes - it is a good point... but. double the
files.

> Disk space shouldn't be much of an issue with today's drives; Raster's
> point about running rsync on his local checkout will indeed use twice
> the bandwidth if it's done the naive way, but I'm sure there are some
> optimisations that could be done. (I'm interested in knowing why
> someone would want to rsync their local copy anyway, rather than
> checking into the server on one box and checking out elsewhere)

ok- double the bandwidth and double the scan time. rsync has to scan a lot
more files and in fact the scan of my files takes more time than the sync. yes
- i disabled checksumming because that just makes it intolerable.

why rsync? do you have more than computer? how do you copy your email, code,
files, porn, music etc. to a new system? if it s laptop and doesnt life on
your network all the time for example? rsync.

i rsync msot of my dot-files and homedir between desktop, laptop, work etc.
etc. etc. - this way all my files, work, state, notes, wallpapers, config,
email, music, etc. etc. - follow me form one system to another - seamlessly
(well with a single rsync) and i am not tethered to a lan and nfs - i can just
continue where i left on on my laptop on a plane, train, in the airport, on a
park bench, at work, and then back home to my desktop, over to the couch in the
living room - whereever i go - onto whatever machine i may use, my "digital
life" follows me. i can just keep doing what i was doing. ESPECIALLY important
is that my source code follows me - thus my cvs checkouts. this acts also as a
backup mechanism as i also rsync to a central sever 2 or more times a day - and
a copy of my data exists on several systems - if i lose a disk - not a big
problem. i have several backups - several of them even "offsite" :)

if you don't have at least a desktop and a laptop and have never tried working
offline - you wont understand - but rsync is the ultimate tool for this kind of
semi connected/disconnected kind of independent working ability.