Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:01:06 +1000
David Seikel <onefang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Strangely enough, another large, old open source project I am involved
> in is having exactly the same conversation.  One of them came up with
> this -
>
> http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/user:rednaxela:scmtable
>
> It may be helpful.

Git isn't there. Now I hope I understand all of the points in that table, and I also hope I understand git well enough, but here's a listing for git (based on my knowledge).

- Protocol: dedicated / ssh / http-based/ email (at least partially).
- Learning curve from CVS: medium (imho)
- Network based access: No, it uses smoke signals. Doh!
- Multiplatform: Yes.
- Access control lists: Yes, with SSH
- Read-only access to everyone: Yes
- Supported by Sourceforge & co.: Yes, with SSH (though I don't think it's that relevant here).
- Receive email notification upon a commit: Almost, you have to do a chmod +x on a script to enable it to be run. ( see http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/hooks.txt )
- Readily available/easily installable software: Yes
- Tracking of when merges are done: Yes
- Good branch handling: Yes
- Efficient use of resources: From what I can tell it's impressive, the git developers say it's around an order of magnitude faster, sometimes more. It was designed with a primary focus on efficiency so I tend to think it's pretty good.
- Global revisioning: Yes
- support for symbolic tagging within one repository: Yes
- Atomic checkins: Yes (I think)
- Maximum ability to do SCCS operations without access to repository: Yes (and it's a great thing to have imho)
- good binary file handling: From what I've read yes, I believe GZip compression is used on binary data.
- Ability to do local branches: Yes
- Rename support: Yes.
- Web view of repository: Yes

So this is _my_ knowledge of how git works. If it's wrong sorry for any confusions this may cause. Anyway, I'll stop zealoting for git from now on, I just think it's really cool.

But even if you guys won't go with it, I would still suggest using Subversion which I believe to be better then CVS.

Cheers,
Eugen.