Re: [E-devel] e_menu patch for smarter placement

Am Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:11:49 +0000
schrieb Hannes Janetzek <rastamasta@gmx.de>:

> Hello,
>
> I made a patch for e_menu that minimizes the need for vertical
> scrolling.
>
> The submenu starts either above or below the actual
> Item, not only below. It works as follows: if the menu is larger than
> the screen then place the menu so that more is shown. e.g. if it
> starts in the lower half of the screen more is shown when the menu is
> above. If the menu is smaller than the screen but it goes offscreen
> then it is also tested if the menu should go above.
>
> The submenu starts of  course direct next to the actual item. The
> terms above and below could be misleading.
>
> If this should be made an option I can change the patch, though i
> could hardly understand why someone would like it less comfortable :)

ok, I see there could also be an aesthetical reason against this
placement method.  Though it would be good if it could be set by the
application. For example the start module when it is at the bottom one
has to scroll for almost all items in "favourite applications" which
is pretty uncomfortable.

So what about a function like:
e_menu_submenu_placement_set(E_Menu *mn, int placement);
which could enable the functionality.  Default placement would stay the
same. With 0 for default, 1 for two direction placement.

--
Hannes