Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

Eugen Minciu [2006-08-14 15:29]:
> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > It has come to my attention that.... yet again we are killing systems.
> >
> > yes - we are becoming a burden on yet more cvs servers. we are monsters! :(
> >
> > anyway - we have been living on caosity's cvs for a while now - but we are
> > killing it (sorry kainx!)
> >
> > so its time to finally bite the bullet and dredge up the issue of us needing
> > servers again.
> >
> > here is what i think we need:
> >
> > 1. devel "cvs" server + future web server (for downloads too of official
> > tarballs etc.)
> > 2. an anonymous "cvs" server and possibly second download mirror.
> >
> > so 2 systems really.
> >
> > i hear that svn is significantly less load for anonymous access - even
> > developer - who has experience with this server-side? can you confirm or deny?
> > i would consider a possible move to svn if we can keep our history from cvs.
> >
> > so - let the flames begin.
> >

> Now I know this is probably not going to sound right but how about a git
> repository?.

git kicks Subversion's ass. At first, the decentralized nature of git
might feel weird, but you'll get used to it, and love it (I've been
using git since the day when Bitkeeper ended it's free-as-in-beer
license thing, I think it was 2005-07-01).

Disk space usage on the developer's box is considerably worse than CVS
of course. The read-only git daemon (the one you'd use for
anongit.e.org) is light on ressources I believe. Developer access would
be done via ssh.

cogito isn't needed for a sane git experience any more (it was, in the
early days).

Regards,
Tilman