Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
It has come to my attention that.... yet again we are killing systems.

yes - we are becoming a burden on yet more cvs servers. we are monsters! :(

anyway - we have been living on caosity's cvs for a while now - but we are
killing it (sorry kainx!)

so its time to finally bite the bullet and dredge up the issue of us needing
servers again.

here is what i think we need:

1. devel "cvs" server + future web server (for downloads too of official
tarballs etc.)
2. an anonymous "cvs" server and possibly second download mirror.

so 2 systems really.

i hear that svn is significantly less load for anonymous access - even
developer - who has experience with this server-side? can you confirm or deny?
i would consider a possible move to svn if we can keep our history from cvs.

so - let the flames begin.

Now I know this is probably not going to sound right but how about a git repository?.

I'll give you some information about in case you're not up to speed with it and/or what it can do. If you are then sorry for wasting your time.

It is a distributed revision control system but it has a whole bunch of very cool features. Here are a few of them, stolen from git's homepage:
- supports rapid and convenient branching and merging
- repositories can be easily accessed via the efficient Git protocol (optionally wrapped in ssh) - they can also be accessed simply using HTTP - you can publish your repository anywhere without _any_ special webserver configuration required. (that should make it very easy to mirror). - very fast and scales well even when working with large projects and long histories - commonly an order of magnitude faster than most other revision control systems, and several orders of magnitude faster on some operations

You can find the said webpage on http://git.or.cz/
There's a section called Git for CVS users you might want to check out.

I've actually worked with if for a couple of small projects of mine. Anyway here are a few extra things to note.

Git in itself is rather complicated to use. It is designed to be quite low-level. However, there are programs like cogito, that work on top of the low-level git commands. Now I've used subversion for a couple of years, and I've used CVS for a very short time and if you've used either one of them, cogito is a snap.

There are conversion tools available, but again I haven't tested them just yet. But if you're interested I can give it a spin and tell you guys how everything goes.

Here's a page to check out CVS importing: http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/cvs-migration.html

There's a tool called gitweb, which is a web interface for Git repositories. For an example, you might want to try the kernel's git page: http://www.kernel.org/git/

I for one, think it would be pretty cool if enlightenment was to be developed using cogito. It allows for very quick branching/merging, it's very fast and quite easy to pick up as well. I haven't used it for anything massive though but you could always just set up a read-only repository and ask people to download from it. All you have to do is convert your CVS tree into a git tree and copy that on one of your webservers.

That's my (rather long) 2 cents anyway.

Cheers,
Eugen.