Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:20:09 +0200 Stephan Wezel <s.wezel@arcor.de> babbled:

> Am Mon, 14 Aug 2006 00:03:07 -0400
> schrieb Michael Jennings <mej@kainx.org>:
>
> > On Monday, 14 August 2006, at 12:08:06 (+0900),
> > Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> >
> > > anyway - we have been living on caosity's cvs for a while now - but
> > > we are killing it (sorry kainx!)
> > >
> > > so its time to finally bite the bullet and dredge up the issue of us
> > > needing servers again.
> >
> > What we really need is anoncvs mirrors.  We need systems that we can
> > point "anoncvs.enlightenment.org" to.  A nice round-robin DNS should
> > solve the load problem quite nicely.
> >
> > > here is what i think we need:
> > >
> > > 1. devel "cvs" server + future web server (for downloads too of official
> > > tarballs etc.)
> > > 2. an anonymous "cvs" server and possibly second download mirror.
> > >
> > > so 2 systems really.
> >
> > The developer CVS server is doing acceptably, is it not?
> >
> > We are working on obtaining another server for the E project to have
> > as its very own.  Hopefully that will pan out.
> >
> > > i hear that svn is significantly less load for anonymous access -
> > > even developer - who has experience with this server-side? can you
> > > confirm or deny?  i would consider a possible move to svn if we can
> > > keep our history from cvs.
> >
> > It's not true.  SVN requires a lot more overhead (including Apache
> > with SVN and DAV modules), uses a BDB backend (you remember your love
> > of BDB, right?), and requires DOUBLE the amount of disk space for a
> > checkout.  Yes, I said double.  Furthermore, branching and tagging
> > don't really exist for SVN (it uses "copies" which, while they may be
> > zero overhead on the server, are murder on the checkout).  And last I
> > checked, you could not keep your history.
> That's not true that SVN needs lot more overhead. At least if you compile
> subversion from source you can disable unneeded features e.g. apache and
> java-bindings support. On gentoo you can enable/disable following features
> when emerging subversion: apache2, bash-completion, berkdb, subversion has
> also a flat file db support(fsfs which is standard when creating a subversion
> repo) java (afaik only bindings support) nls
> perl (afaik only bindings support)
> python (afaik only bindings support)
> zlib
> emacs
> nowebdav (no webdav support via the neon lib)
> ruby (afaik only bindings support)
>
> so you can strip down the requirements to the minimum if you want.
> Apache + Webdav is only needed if you want the access to the repos via webdav.
>
> there are now at least one cvs2svn conversion tool with which you can keep
> your history of cvs.

ok- but what about runtime performance? doe svn use "50%" of the system load
(ram/cpu/whatever) compare to cvs? 20% 150%? 200%? what? a rough ballpark thing
is what i'd like to know from people with experience of going form cvs to svn
or svn to cvs - will it make our "anon cvs serves" handle more users with the
same src being shipped given the same resources? if more - about how much more?