Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:59:58 +1000 David Seikel <onefang@gmail.com> babbled:

> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:08:06 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <raster@rasterman.com> wrote:
>
> > It has come to my attention that.... yet again we are killing systems.
> >
> > yes - we are becoming a burden on yet more cvs servers. we are
> > monsters! :(
> >
> > anyway - we have been living on caosity's cvs for a while now - but
> > we are killing it (sorry kainx!)
> >
> > so its time to finally bite the bullet and dredge up the issue of us
> > needing servers again.
> >
> > here is what i think we need:
> >
> > 1. devel "cvs" server + future web server (for downloads too of
> > official tarballs etc.)
> > 2. an anonymous "cvs" server and possibly second download mirror.
> >
> > so 2 systems really.
> >
> > i hear that svn is significantly less load for anonymous access - even
> > developer - who has experience with this server-side? can you confirm
> > or deny? i would consider a possible move to svn if we can keep our
> > history from cvs.
> >
> > so - let the flames begin.
>
> I have only mild server side svn experience, not enough to warrant
> comments.  All I can say is that I have a preference for svn, and as
> far as I can tell, all those issues that people seem to have with it
> have been addressed.  I know I have seen a page comparing cvs and svn,
> and every single svn issue they raised was fixed in later versions.
>
> Didn't we say at the outset that extra mirrors are a goal, and that we
> should build an easy to setup mirror package of some sort?  How's that
> going?

yes - but a primary anon cvs that we personally manage woudl be best - we dont
have that atm. i think its time we stop burdeni0ng other peoples systems
though. maybe svn is also a good move?

> Is it time to seek donations for our own server?

well we started with that and had a stop-gap measure from caos as it was the
same color host location. kind of an intermediate step - but i am thinking it
is time to pull out this card... but ... let the flames begin.

> You have mentioned recently that there are bounties for coding E, can
> the same source of those funds donate some cvs server resources?

possibly. :) but for now maybe not. we might manage a donated server or 2...