[E-devel] Application icon + other info caching.

As part of the .eap to .desktop conversion, raster wants me to redo the
relevant caching to suit.  He has made many "eap caching needs
fixing" noises in the recent past, so maybe a fresh start is needed
at this point.  This email is mostly just me thinking out loud about
this problem and it's possible solutions, feel free to join in though.

The problem -

It's really the E_App structure as defined in e_apps.h that may need
caching, no matter what their source.  I say "no matter what their
source" because at the moment the source is .eap files, but in the next
day or two .desktop files will also be a source, and at some
unspecified date in the future .eap files might go away.  I say "may
need caching" because this is a fresh start, do they really need
caching?

To answer that last question we need to look at all the places that use
E_Apps and check to see if those uses are performance critical.  Then
we need to see how much time it takes to load an E_App from it's source.

Grepping through the source code shows that E_App is used in the ibar,
engage, and mbar modules, plus in E itself.  Devilhorns tells me that
mbar will be replaced, so I will ignore that for now.  HandyAndE tells
me that the stand alone version of engage is deprecated, so I can
ignore that.  Both ibar and engage essentially do the same things with
E_App, so I'll speak about those in generic terms.  I'll also try to
avoid spending time fully groking all the code that uses E_Apps, as I
have some time pressure here.  That's why I'm thinking out loud, if I
miss something, other devs will point it out.

Interesting that neither entangle, nor the stand alone eapp_edit came
up in the grep results.  There may be other things that deal with
application icons in their own way.  I'll ignore them for now.  I know
raster will say "engage entangle and such ar not part of corr e,
ignre them".

Ibar and engage both display a handful of application icons, allow the
user to click on those icons to start the application.  Ibar runs a
"starting application" animation, and engage keeps track of open
windows that belong to all applications, but tries to keep the open
window icons next to the application icon if it has one for that
application.  I don't know if ibar uses the freedesktop.org startup
notification spec, some other method, or just runs the animation for an
arbitrary time.  Either way, there are three operations in these
modules that use E_Apps - show the icon, start the application, and
match newly created windows with the E_App.

E also needs to do those three operations, and more.  Menus, winlist,
pager, exebuf, and borders all need to show the icon.  Menus and exebuf
need to start the application.  When a window is opened, it needs to be
matched to it's E_App to show it's icon and other things.  Exebuf needs
to search through all the E_Apps looking for matches to the partially
typed in command.  EFM needs to show an icon for any .eap or .desktop it
is currently displaying, maybe needs to run the application.  The
built in eap editor needs to read, display, and save all the
application icon information.

These operations fall into two distinct categories - dealing with one
E_App at a time, or searching through all E_Apps with arbitrary search
criteria.  One at a time is often done in user time (the user only
operates one icon at a time) so caching is not so important there.
Searching through all E_Apps is an expensive operation that should be
optimised as much as possible.  Note that I count the showing of menus
as the later category, as the user may want to quickly access many sub
menus full of E_Apps.

Since the source of the image data used for the icon can be something
that needs time to decode, at the times when lots of icons are being
used at once (exebuf and menus mostly) we probably want that image data
cached for speed as well.  The searching through all E_Apps can occur
on data that is part of the original file that is the source, so an in
memory search will be a lot faster than any file searching.

So the problem is - as fast as possible search through all the E_Apps,
no matter what their source, and give access to all the information
they have ,including image data.  Since this is useful in the "one at a
time" category, might as well use the same method there to.

The issues with possible solutions -

An in memory cache of all E_App information is needed.  Since the
information that could be used to search this cache can be quite
arbitrary, hashes and other such structures may not be useful.  On the
other hand, some sort of index mechanism may be useful for the most
common searches, and those that need to be quickest.

Lets try to come up with some numbers.  The eap torture test involves
over two thousand .eaps, and that's from a full install of SuSE 9.3
Pro.  Certain distros have just as many applications, or more, and they
are growing all the time.  120x120 pixels is probably the largest
commonly used icon size, 32 bits per pixel to include the alpha
channel.  I have seen .desktop files up to 25 KB in size, but that
includes all the translations for name, comment, and keywords,
something that is not currently stored in E_App.  A much more common
size is 2 - 4 KB, but that still mostly is for the name translations.
Note, .desktop files only include the name of the icon, not the image
data itself.  I use the .desktop files for this part of the discussion
because they include all the non image data that is typically in an
E_App.  1 KB is probably maximum storage requirement for non image,
single translation E_App data.  That could be a maximum of 56 KB per
E_App, and possibly 100 MB for the entire cache including image data.
Ouch, no wonder raster suggested mmaping the cache file.

Note, this is a likely maximum for those people that install two
thousand applications and like really big icons.  I have over two
thousand applications installed, and I like the icons in engage to zoom
out really big.  B-)  Typical users will require a much smaller amount
of data.

The original caching strategy uses multiple caches, on a per directory
basis, but still has a single cache for the all directory, the one with
all the .eaps in it.  raster has mentioned that a single cache might be
a better solution.  With .desktop files scattered all over the place, a
single cache is more desirable for searching purposes.

This does raise some interesting issues.  While .eap files have in the
past been per user, the majority of .desktop files are likely to be
system files, mostly unchanging, but with new ones added whenever new
software is installed.  The user can create their own, and override
system ones.  There is also the translations to deal with.  Do we
include only one translation in the cache?  Do we have a system cache
and per user caches that allow overrides?  Do we really need image data
in the cache?  Although the freedesktop.org spec says that the user
chooses a single icon size, in practise the various things that render
icons render them at different sizes.

There is the cache update strategy to consider.  The current one causes
problems.  Raster has thought about changing to no auto update, but with
a manually triggered update.  I would prefer automatic updates that
work smoothly and without great pauses in the operation of the wm, as
that gives the users less to complain about.  Maybe we can make use of
the thumb nailing stuff?

Answers to these questions will help choose a caching mechanism.

There is a whole lot more I could say, but this is too long already.
 It's time I actually sent this.