Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Monday, 14 August 2006, at 12:08:06 (+0900),
Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> anyway - we have been living on caosity's cvs for a while now - but
> we are killing it (sorry kainx!)
>
> so its time to finally bite the bullet and dredge up the issue of us
> needing servers again.

What we really need is anoncvs mirrors.  We need systems that we can
point "anoncvs.enlightenment.org" to.  A nice round-robin DNS should
solve the load problem quite nicely.

> here is what i think we need:
>
> 1. devel "cvs" server + future web server (for downloads too of official
> tarballs etc.)
> 2. an anonymous "cvs" server and possibly second download mirror.
>
> so 2 systems really.

The developer CVS server is doing acceptably, is it not?

We are working on obtaining another server for the E project to have
as its very own.  Hopefully that will pan out.

> i hear that svn is significantly less load for anonymous access -
> even developer - who has experience with this server-side? can you
> confirm or deny?  i would consider a possible move to svn if we can
> keep our history from cvs.

It's not true.  SVN requires a lot more overhead (including Apache
with SVN and DAV modules), uses a BDB backend (you remember your love
of BDB, right?), and requires DOUBLE the amount of disk space for a
checkout.  Yes, I said double.  Furthermore, branching and tagging
don't really exist for SVN (it uses "copies" which, while they may be
zero overhead on the server, are murder on the checkout).  And last I
checked, you could not keep your history.

CVS is the devil we know.  There's really nothing we need it to do
that it doesn't do.  I see no compelling reason to move.

Michael

 "Love?!  What does *love* have to do with *marriage*?!"
           -- Peter Jurasik (Ambassador Londo Mollari), "Babylon Five"