Re: [E-devel] cvs, servers and stuff.

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:08:06 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<raster@rasterman.com> wrote:

> It has come to my attention that.... yet again we are killing systems.
>
> yes - we are becoming a burden on yet more cvs servers. we are
> monsters! :(
>
> anyway - we have been living on caosity's cvs for a while now - but
> we are killing it (sorry kainx!)
>
> so its time to finally bite the bullet and dredge up the issue of us
> needing servers again.
>
> here is what i think we need:
>
> 1. devel "cvs" server + future web server (for downloads too of
> official tarballs etc.)
> 2. an anonymous "cvs" server and possibly second download mirror.
>
> so 2 systems really.
>
> i hear that svn is significantly less load for anonymous access - even
> developer - who has experience with this server-side? can you confirm
> or deny? i would consider a possible move to svn if we can keep our
> history from cvs.
>
> so - let the flames begin.

I have only mild server side svn experience, not enough to warrant
comments.  All I can say is that I have a preference for svn, and as
far as I can tell, all those issues that people seem to have with it
have been addressed.  I know I have seen a page comparing cvs and svn,
and every single svn issue they raised was fixed in later versions.

Didn't we say at the outset that extra mirrors are a goal, and that we
should build an easy to setup mirror package of some sort?  How's that
going?

Is it time to seek donations for our own server?

You have mentioned recently that there are bounties for coding E, can
the same source of those funds donate some cvs server resources?