Re: [E-devel] Using freedesktop.org .desktop files.

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:10:15 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<raster@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 00:53:28 GMT "jose_ogp@juno.com"
> <jose_ogp@juno.com> babbled:
>

> > 	Carsten writes:
> >
> > > XPM is not hard - loader is in imlbi2 - can be snarfed in.
> > > svg - well - a bigger issue - but i think we can avoid it for
> > > now and just display "default" icons in place. as long the the
> > > "icon finder" routine will return null when no icon can be
> > > found given the params - the code can fall back  :)
> >
> > 	I can port the xpm loader over if no one else wants to do
> > so (I thought someone had done this already?).
> >
> > 	As far as the svg loading:  We've already mentioned using
> > librsvg for that - I can give it a try and see how well it can
> > be made to work if no one else wants to do so..
> >
> > 	As to the issue of loading images at some specified size:
> >   First, let me note that svg docs do have an intrinsic size that
> > one can read form the doc.. it's just that the w, h can be given
> > in all sorts of units -- inches, cm, pts,... even user coord units
> > (aka pixels).
> > 	I believe that librsvg will either read the display dpi or
> > assume a default value (likely 90 for both x and y), or allow one
> > to set them, and then uses this to return pixel sizes for the image
> > size. It also seems to allow one to set the pixel size to render
> > the doc at - using whatever default dpi is set as a reference
> > I presume, and then I'd guess by scaling that rendered result to
> > the requested size.
> >
> > 	As to having a mechanism in evas for specifying a size to
> > load an image at:  We can do that.. But for now it may be better
> > to simply load it at its advertised size (and that will hold for
> > svg docs as well - as mentioned above), and then just set the fill
> > and obj size accordingly.. ?
>
> svg's dont necessarily define a size in pixels - u need some mapping.
> and then even that is dubious. i think we just need to add the api
> call and then use the data if the loader can do it. :)

Given that svg files designed for fdo icon themes are likely to be
simple things compared to all the fancy functionality that the svg spec
allows, I'll be happy with a simple svg loader that I can request
"render this file to size X by Y pixels".