Re: [E-devel] Using freedesktop.org .desktop files.

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 18:13:23 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<raster@rasterman.com> wrote:

> right now i'd want to go for the solution of - if we can't load an
> svg, we fall back to finding a png or some other format icon - or
> just display a placeholder image.

Right now the parsing and loading has been split.  I'm still thinking
about this, but for now I think that parsing of the .desktop files, and
searching for a matching icon is a two stage process, since you don't
always need the path to the icon, and searching for that may be a
lengthy process under some circumstances.  At the moment, the icon
searching process is not aware of any format loading capabilities, it's
happy that the file exists.  It searches for a particular set of formats
according to the fdo spec, and I will be adding .edje to the top of
that list soon.

Probably the best way to go about this is to determine once early in run
time what formats can be loaded given the currently installed set of
loaders, then limit the search to those.  If the found file cannot be
loaded due to errors, then use the placeholder image.  If no image
format matching the currently installed set of loaders can be found,
then use the placeholder image.