Re: [E-devel] Using freedesktop.org .desktop files.

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:01:19 GMT "jose_ogp@juno.com" <jose_ogp@juno.com>
babbled:

> > > 	One never knows.. Always keep an open mind!  :)
> >
> > sure - i did - i got far enough to see cairo only bought us an
> > insanely slow enging with no other benefits. i didnt see continued
> > work on it useful  :)
>
> 	That was some time ago... cairo has gotten faster since,
> and will continue to do so.
> 	It could also be useful - fast or slow - for certain things,
> printing for example.
>
> 	There are actually many reasons why it would be good to
> have a working cairo engine.
>
> 	Setting up a 'generic' cairo engine would allow evas to
> have actual engines of the form:
>
> 	EVAS_CAIRO_BUFFER
> 	EVAS_CAIRO_FB
> 	EVAS_CAIRO_DFB
> 	EVAS_CAIRO_X11
> 	EVAS_CAIRO_XCB
> 	EVAS_CAIRO_GL_X11
> 	EVAS_CAIRO_PS
> 	EVAS_CAIRO_PDF
>
> and others...
>
> 	The gl-x11 case would be good as I believe that cairo's
> 'glitz' backend works fine, whereas evas' gl-x11 engine needs lots
> of... attention.
> 	Also, the pdf and ps backends would be useful.
>
> 	If the generic cairo engine is setup correctly, these
> actual engines would be as easy to obtain from it as is now the
> case for similar software engines.. and perhaps simpler for the
> xrender and gl cases.

sure - perfectly possible to add - but at the moment i personally see software,
xrender and buffer engines as what we really need and what is important. gl is
still a secondary concern as are other targets.